Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Unmarried parents can collect child support

I received an email from a woman who was told that she couldn’t get child support because she never married the father of the child. I don't know why she was told this. However, it is wrong advice. An unmarried parent can get child support if they can establish the identity of the other parent. Before DNA testing, this was difficult and embarrasing as it required public testimony about sexual activity. Today, most cases are resolved by DNA testing. A lawyer can assist a person to establish and obtain child support. Another resource is the Department of Revenue. Parents can fill out a form and request that DOR establish paternity and collect child support. DOR is free but will take much more time than an atttorney. If you can't afford attorney fees, then you should contact DOR.

No comments:

Post a Comment