Sunday, September 19, 2010

Can a parent move with children to another part of Massachusetts?

If a party seeks permission from a judge to move to another part of Massachusetts, a Judge will consider the request under the same standards that apply to removal out of Massachusetts. The Court can prevent the move "where the relocation would evidently involve significant disruption of the noncustodial parent's visitation rights and the parents cannot agree." The Judge will balance the negative effects on visitation against the benefits to the children for the move. Of course, the Judge can only make such rulings if the parent seeks permission before the move or the other parent brings an action to prevent a move. In the absence of a court order, there is nothing to prevent a parent from moving within Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment